One hardly needs to be a culinary mastermind to manage to make a good lemon drizzle cake. That said, I think this is the best recipe I’ve ever tried.
For this cake you will need:
- 225g butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- 4 eggs
- Lemon zest of 2 lemons
- Juice 1 1/2 lemons
- 85g icing sugar
- 70g butter, softened
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 3 tblsp lemon juice
- 200g icing sugar
1. Preheat oven at 180°C or at 160°C if you are using a fan oven.
2. Beat the sugar and butter together until creamy and pale.
3. Add each egg one at a time slowly mixing through.
4. Sift in the flour.
5. Add the grated zest of 2 lemons and mix until well combined.
6. Line a loaf tin (8x21cm approx.) with baking paper and spoon in the mixture.
7. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes (insert a knife or skewer in the centre of the cake – if it comes out clean, the cake is done).
8. Mix the lemon juice with the icing sugar to make the drizzle syrup.
9. Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork and pour over the drizzle. I like to use a skewer which goes straight through the entire cake so the syrup seeps in everywhere.
10. Leave the cake in its tin until it has completely cooled down, and then….
Now if you’re feeling particularly confident about your figure and you have a sweet tooth, why not add a bit of butter cream frosting ey?
9 bis. Take the cake out of its tin. The best thing to do is to put it on an elevated platform so that the syrup can seep through and out of the cake (otherwise it gets very sweet), so remember to put a plate underneath said platform. Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer and make sure it goes straight through the cake. Pour over the drizzle and wait for it to cool down completely.
10.Mix the icing sugar, lemon juice, softened butter and lemon zest together until well combined.
11. Spread it on top of the cake and refrigerate until the icing has solidified.
Once the icing is solid, your cake is ready to be devoured.
Now remember, you can make the cake and only add the syrup (typical lemon drizzle), or make it and only add the frosting (typical lemon cake). OR. You can combine syrup and frosting.
I’ve done it before and I’ll definitely do it again.